Saturday, September 22, 2007
The portico has a couple of sofas and this is where we hang out in the evenings or where we set up a large table when we have dinner parties. Beyond the old well on the portico is an old water tank that used to collect all the roof water. Now it houses a w.c. The floors are cement tiles that are were probably added to the house in the 1930's. We renovated a house around the corner that has the same tiles and the previous owner's parents redid that house in 1930 when they married. The 4 rooms of the orginal house here all have these 'pasta' tiles. The tiles came to Yucatan as ballast in ships from Marsailles, France orginally. Now they are produced here in a nearby village.
Posted by John Powell + Josh Ramos at 12:56 PM